Tuesday, October 18, 2011

short stories at 7am


When I was still in high school my favourite thing to do at night was take a warm shower,have a hersheys kiss, and read in my room with across the universe on as a silent artistic backround. Sometimes Id read...sometimes Id paint with my music on.It was a transforming time in my life, I was learning what it was like to stay in one place for the first time. I was sixteen, Id moved 22 times & had no idea Id ever be in the same room with these musicians.
 Younger I lived with my mom, venturing with her everywhere & learned to love it. We would settle in, get to know the place .. the spots we liked,the good restaurants . . the bad ones. I met so many people, sometimes we wouldnt stay long at all but I learned how to not get too attached & grew up fast but was still very much sheltered. It was fun, and Im so fortunate that we can go to so many places now & have so many great friends scattered through out every where and remain close to them even from far away.
 When I was fifteen something bad happened to our family.After that my mom dated this asshole for a while. He would call my five year old sister fat. She would cry and now shes always watching her weight. It KILLED me. If I heard anything like that I would take her into the bathroom and she would be crying. With tears Id tell her she was beautiful and to never listen to anyone that would tell her other wise. I was the only one that didnt accept how he would demean us. Then he threw me and pushed me around.. thats when I moved in with my dads family for the first time.
 My dads house had a routine and was "normal" but a bit boring to me at first..they ate dinner together & it was so foreign and awkward to me because with my mom we all did our own thing. I wasnt used to it & had to ease into it. It became one of my favourite parts of the day,dinner with my family. Thats where I stayed for a long time. I was "the new girl" again. I quietly sat and listened to my ipod alone and happy. That year I heard this song for the first time. I swallowed the weepies whole. That year was the calmest of my life & this song reminds me of that. That and learning what its like to live stay grounded for a long period of time. Have a routine of my own & I admire it as much as traveling. Now both to me are of equal importance.
 This year I was driving to my apartment after visiting a friend and saw tiny sign after passing downtown. THE WEEPIES in two days. I got the tickets straight away & sean had never heard of them so it was one of the greatest suprises. Steve and Deb Talan were the sweetest and most hilarious people. Once through out the night I remember them mentioning moving around. Deb said,"I settled down when I got pregnant with Theo.I was scared to leave the house, because I was one!And well,I didnt leave our house for three years." It was so sweet. Listening to it right now..its funny how one song can bring all of this back, & make me feel like Im in my old room,eating a hersheys kiss and having my first glass of wine. Before the show Sean & I were walking in opposite directions around a light pole & their manager stopped at looked at us .. we all laughed. This married couple has to be one of the sweetest youll ever meet & that show was a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment